It is widely assumed that many well-known film and television stars did not attend college. In some cases, this is true. But, many actors and TV personalities have gone to college — and prestigious ones at that.
Majoring in subjects from English to theater, these celebrities set out to earn college degrees. Only after they attended wide-ranging universities did they enhance the entertainment industry with characters like Miranda Priestly, Lorelai Gilmore and Jim Halpert.
Quiz yourself to discover the globally recognized universities where these icons sought higher education.
1. At which university theater did The Office jokester, John Krasinski, land one of his first roles as a rather tall transvestite?
a. Columbia University
b. Emerson College
c. Brown University
d. The University of Southern California
2. Which Manhattan college did Gilmore Girl’s Lauren Graham, sing in the a cappella group called “The Metrotones?”
a. Barnard College
b. New York University
c. The New School
d. Juilliard School
3. Which sitcom mom attended Brown University and studied abroad in Florence, Italy?
a. Alex Borstein (Lois Griffin, Family Guy)
b. Julie Bowen (Claire Dunphy, Modern Family)
c. Kitty Forman (Debra Jo Rupp, That ‘70s Show)
d. Felicity Huffman (Lynette Scavo, Desperate Housewives)
4. Before she played Elphaba or Queen Elsa, Idina Menzel, the reigning queen of Broadway, attended which elite art school?
a. Juilliard School
b. Rhode Island School of Design
c. Pratt Institute
d. NYU Tisch School of the Arts
5. Which sports journalist is a former Florida Gator?
a. John Travis Clayton
b. Erin Andrews
c. David Aldridge
d. John Anderson
6. John Legend sang a brief rendition of “All of Me” as he delivered the commencement speech at his alma mater, ___________?
a. The University of Pennsylvania
b. Boston University
c. Yale University
d. Princeton University
7. Which late night talk show host was elected president of The Harvard Lampoon twice as an undergrad at Harvard University?
a. Stephen Colbert
b. Jimmy Kimmel
c. Conan O’Brien
d. Jimmy Fallon
8. Amy Poehler was a member of the improv group, My Mother’s Flea Bag, at which Jesuit university?
a. Georgetown University
b. Fordham University
c. Xavier University
d. Boston College
9. Before she created the beloved Grey’s Anatomy characters, McDreamy and McSteamy, Shonda Rhimes studied at ___________ College.
a. Central Florida
d. North Carolina at Chapel Hill
11. Which sibling duo graduated from New York University in 2015?
a. Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen
b. Dylan and Cole Sprouse
c. Dakota and Elle Fanning
d. Zooey and Emily Deschanel
12. This actress was awarded an Oscar for her psychological thriller, Black Swan, in 2011 and, ironically, majored in psychology at Harvard University.
a. Julianne Moore
b. Reese Witherspoon
c. Natalie Portman
d. Kate Winslet
13. Which notable red headed film/television star of Will and Grace, Smash and The Mysteries of Laura attended Brandeis University?
a. Ellie Kemper
b. Bryce Dallas Howard
c. Susan Sarandon
d. Debra Messing
14. Glee’s Darren Criss openly cherishes the four years he was allotted at this Big Ten university.
a. Michigan University
b. Ohio State University
c. Rutgers University
d. Indiana University
15. Prior to portraying powerful women like Miranda Priestly, Julia Child and Sophie Zawistowski, Meryl Streep was honing her craft early on at ____________ College.
a. Bryn Mawr
16. This brother-sister acting pair both attended Columbia University, but she was the only sibling who graduated.
a. Spencer and Abigail Breslin
b. John and Joan Cusack
c. Donny and Marie Osmond
d. Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal
17. Writer and star of the 2006 comedy, Borat, Sacha Baron Cohen was a member of the comedy troupe of what UK university?
a. University of St. Andrews
b. University of Oxford
c. Christ’s College, Cambridge
d. The University of Warwick
18. Before George Lucas created his galaxy far, far away, he was studying at what school in California?
a. The University of Southern California
b. Stanford University
c. University of California, Berkeley
d. The University of California, Los Angeles
19. This Office leading lady was able to fully express herself as a theater major at Dartmouth College.
a. Mindy Kaling
b. Jenna Fischer
c. Angela Kinsey
d. Phyllis Smith
20. Prior to his three Oscar nominations, Edward Norton attended the highly esteemed, ___________ University.
Answers: 1. C. Brown University; 2. A. Barnard College; 3. B. Julie Bowen; 4. D. NYU Tisch of the Arts; 5. B. Erin Andrews; 6. A. The University of Pennsylvania; 7. C. Conan O’Brien; 8. D. Boston College; 9. A. Dartmouth; 10. B. Miami; 11. B. Dylan and Cole Sprouse; 12. C. Natalie Portman; 13. D. Debra Messing; 14. A. Michigan University; 15. D. Vassar; 16. D. Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal; 17. C. Christ’s College, Cambridge; 18. A. The University of Southern California; 19. A. Mindy Kaling; 20. B. Yale